Politics - Not A Sport

A clear look at politics.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

No Game 1: How government gets your money without you knowing

Ok, so I’m off to a start. First issue, Bush’s tax cuts.

This has been a highly controversial issue in the past and present. Bush has continued to support his tax cuts in such statements like, "These are the basic ideas that guide my tax policy: lower income taxes for all, with the greatest help for those most in need.” But do they really? How does are government gets its money lost from taxes to run it's day to day
operations? That is what I’ll be looking at in this post.

Bush has never used his veto, and our government is filled with pork, we have a budget in the trillions (0,000,000,000), so we need to get the money from some where. Now well the old way of getting it was from large taxes. That has changed sense the Bush administration has come to office. So how do we feed the pig (pork bills)?


Well on the way home yesterday I was thinking about this, and it came to mind that I had seen a lot of cops out with there radar guns. Then the thought can to my mind, “Decrease taxes, increase tickets”. At first this sounded a little over the edge but then using Google I looked up the amount of tickets in 2005. What I found would be something I would never forget.

According to www.thenewspaper.com, a journal of the politics of driving, “speeding ticket revenue amounts to as much as $2.3 billion for 40 state highway patrol agencies”. But that is not the end. Washington D.C ( where the democrats live), had a 78.5 ticket rate! That means out of a population of 553,523, 434,301 of them got tickets. Now that’s no accident!!


Well the ticket rate was high in this largely liberal state; it was low in the largely conservative state of South Carolina. The rate of tickets per population was only 5.3.

So are government has it way of collecting its money, even without taxes. Florida alone got $99 million in ticket revenue. That would make fill in for a $99 Bush tax cut.

So the moral of the story is, think it your civil duty to pay for tickets, even if you didn't go over the speed limit. And watch out if you’re a liberal or in a liberal state.

Just another proof to show that politics is no sport.

4 Comments:

At 3/12/2006 6:09 PM, Blogger Silas said...

Very interesting… 2.3 billion is a drop in the bucket for the government nowadays though... Probably what they spend a month for senators shoe shining.

 
At 3/13/2006 4:45 AM, Blogger Narniagirl said...

Who are you?? And why is your blog the opposite of my blog?

 
At 3/13/2006 6:08 AM, Blogger Aidan said...

Tash-Yea, I know it only a tiny amount in gov. money. But still it’s a 2.3 billion dollar tax cut. They also use different perhaps unethical) ways of collecting money.

NG- I named the blog Politics- not a sport. Because I found that was the best name I could think of. Also it had to do with a lot of what I was going to right like this post.
But If you find politics to be a fun game, good for you! I ‘m looking a the inside of politics, the stuff everybody in the government knows but doesn’t want you to know.

 
At 3/13/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Gayle said...

No, I don't think politics is a "sport" either. Sometimes I think I'll give up political blogging because it becomes so tiresome at times. But although it can be extremely aggravating, it is important, and it's our duty as American Citizens to take an interest and try to keep up.

Good luck with your blogging. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home